Principal Investigator: Dr. Anne M. Thompson (NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center)
A number of ozonesonde stations are operating in the tropics, subtropics, and the southern hemisphere in general, but with differing frequency and reporting procedures. SHADOZ (Southern Hemisphere ADditional OZonesondes) is designed to remedy this data discrepancy, by coordinating launches, supplying additional sondes in some cases, and by providing a central archive location. Since 1998, ozonesonde data have been collected and made available through this website.
Click on the DATA ARCHIVE link in the banner above too access the ozonesonde data.
Questions regarding sonde data from specific stations should be directed to the stations' principal investigator. A list of PI contact information can be found on the PI CONTACTS link in the banner above.
We would like to keep a running list of
papers that use SHADOZ data. Please email a reference of your
manuscript to the archiver: Jacquelyn.Witte@nasa.gov
Publications using SHADOZ data should include at least one of
the following references:
- Witte, J.C., et al. (2017), First reprocessing of Southern Hemisphere ADditional OZonesondes (SHADOZ) profile records (1998-2015): 1. Methodology and evaluation, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 122, 6611-6636, doi:10.1002/2016JD026403.
- Thompson, A.M., et al. (2007), Southern Hemisphere Additional Ozonesondes (SHADOZ) 1998-2004 tropical ozone climatology: 3. Instrumentation, station-to-station variability, and evaluation with simulated flight profiles, J. Geophys. Res., 112, D03304, doi:10.1029/2005JD007042.
- Thompson, A.M., et al. (2003), Southern Hemisphere Additional Ozonesondes (SHADOZ) 1998-2000 tropical ozone climatology 2. Tropospheric variability and the zonal wave-one, J. Geophys. Res., 108, 8241, doi:10.1029/2002JD002241.
- Thompson, A.M., et al. (2003), Southern Hemisphere Additional Ozonesondes (SHADOZ) 1998-2000 tropical ozone climatology 1. Comparison with Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS) and ground-based measurements, J. Geophys. Res., 108, 8238, doi:10.1029/2001JD000967.
Data Disclaimer and Guidelines:
- The data on this website are subject to revision and reprocessing. Check dates of
creation to download the most current version. Contact the co-investigators for
questions concerning data techniques and quality.
Access to these data is free to the public. Whenever substantial use is made of their data, you accept that an offer of co-authorship will be made through personal contact. In all cases, an acknowledgement must be made to the data co-investigators and SHADOZ when these data are used in publication. Click here for a list of contact information on the SHADOZ station PI's
SHADOZ reserves the right to limit access to the Data Archive and to alter or change the layout and content of the website.